Just who was Jesus? Was He God or was He a man? Was He human or was He divine? If someone were to ask you these questions, how would you answer, and better yet, how would you prove it? Most of professing Christianity and theologians have struggled over this question for millennia and are confused about the answer. We should not be in confusion. We need to know, without a doubt, who and what Jesus was. Let’s see what the scriptures say about Christ – was He God or human.
John 1:1-3; John 1:14-15 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. (14) And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father …. (15) John bore witness of Him and cried out, saying, “This was He of whom I said, ‘He who comes after me is preferred before me, for He was before me.’”
2. According to this passage, who created all things?
3. What other scripture tells us who created all things in the beginning? What conclusion must one come to if these two scriptures claim that this Personage created all things?
Comment: John shows that the Word, the God of the Old Testament, became Jesus of Nazareth. That is, the Word, Jesus, was God, in the flesh. That is the point that John is making here.
John 9:35-38 Jesus heard that they had cast him out; and when He had found him, He said to him, “Do you believe in the Son of God?” He answered and said, who is He, Lord, that I may believe in Him?” And Jesus said to him, “you have both seen Him and it is He who is talking with you.” Then he said, “Lord, I believe!” And he worshiped Him.
5. Why would Jesus allow this man to worship Him? Who only are we to worship? Who only is worthy of worship?
Note: There are plenty of examples in the Bible that show even an angel of highest rank would not let man worship him.
6. Is it possible for a human to read the thoughts of others? Who can?
John 8:56-58 “your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day, and he saw it and was glad.” Then the Jews said to Him, “You are not yet fifty years old and have you seen Abraham?” Jesus said to them, Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.”
7. What did Jesus mean by “I AM”?
8. Who did Jesus Himself claim to be?
9. What were the Jews reaction? Read verse 59. Why did they react that way?