“I believe God exists, but how do I know that the Bible was inspired by God?” is a good question. It comes from a spiritually maturing mind that is seriously and sincerely seeking to know the answer. For such seekers, this Bible study guide outline was prepared.
1. If the Bible is the word of God, then its statements must be true. Do you agree?
2. If one can find a verse that is not true, then it must not be inspired by God. Do you agree?
1. When was the Bible written? Has scientific knowledge increased in the last century and proven false earlier theories and concepts? Find out when the following scriptures were written and when scientists came to the same conclusion.
2. How do you explain that these Bible writers were able to record accurate scientific knowledge centuries before man discovered the facts for himself?
3. Do biblical statements conflict with known facts of science?
1. Has archaeology been successful for confirming the biblical record?
2. Other cultures have legends and historical records similar to the biblical account of stories concerning all mankind (for example, creation, Noachian flood, Tower of Babel). What does this fact imply about the Bible’s veracity?
1. Do men make specific predictions about the future? How often has any man’s prophecies been right? Is only God powerful enough to make His prophecies always come true?
2. Did the Bible prophesy events that have occurred? Was the prophecy written after the event, as some charge? Was the prophecy written shortly before the event showing that the writer may have only been making an educated guess about the future?
3. Compare the following prophecies with history:
a. Kingdom of Edom and its capitol, Petra — Isaiah 34; Jeremiah 49; Ezekiel 25,35
b. Cities of Ashkelon and Gaza — Jeremiah 47; Amos 1; Zephaniah 2; Zechariah 9
c. City of Samaria — Hosea 13; Micah 1
What is the probability that each of these prophecies was fulfilled entirely by chance?
LUKE 24:27 And beginning at Moses and all the Prophets, He [Jesus] expounded to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning Himself.
4. Did Jesus fulfill all the prophecies concerning the Messiah?