The Bible story of creation includes many facts about God that are important for children and us to understand.
- God has always existed, and He has always existed as God the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Even at creation He says, “Let Us make man in Our image. Jesus as God was there creating at the beginning. (John 1; Colossians 1)
- God created everything out of nothing.
- God created us to know Him and have a relationship with Him. He did not create the world and then step back to just watch. He is involved in our lives.
In the beginning…
In the beginning before time and space,
Before anything was created, there wasn’t a trace,
But God was here.
He was and is and will always be
Father, Son, Spirit – all Three.
God is near.
In the beginning…the Creation Bible Story
Before there was anything…there was God. You may know Him. He is God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit; yet He is the One and Only God.
We really can’t understand how that is, but it’s okay because He knows. And we can trust Him.
He was here before time or space. He has and always will be.
He decided to create something VERY special; so He spoke. He said “Let there be light”, and there was! He created everything out of nothing!
He made the earth, the sky and the sea. He made the sun, the moon and the stars. He made the grass, the trees and the flowers. He made the fish, the birds, and all the other animals.
It only took God six days to make all that you see, all that you hear, all that you smell, all that you taste and all that you touch! And He said, “It is good!”
But even after making all these wonderful creations, He still had something even MORE special to make. He made man and He made woman. And He said they were “very good”!
They were different from anything else God made. God made them in His own image. They were made to be like a picture of God, to look like Him. And He gave them all creation to enjoy! All, that is except one single tree.
Then God rested on the seventh day.
– based on Genesis 1
Bible Story Lessons Activities:
Q & A…Things to think about
- Who was in the beginning? -If they answer God, that is correct; also get them to name the three persons of God. Children need to know that Jesus was there in the beginning as God creating with the Father and the Holy Spirit. (John 1; Colossians 1)
- What did God create? – Everything! Have them to name something God created that they can see..hear…smell…taste…and touch. Ask them out of what did God create everything. Remind them that what God created was good and He made all of it for us to enjoy.
Order of Creation
Something we learn about God through the story of His creation is that God is a God of order. Use this following mini-color book from Bible Story Printables to show God’s order in the creation story:
On days 1-3 God divided or separated:
- Day 1 – Light from Darkness
- Day 2 – Sky (waters above) from the Sea (waters below)
- Day 3 – Sea from the Land (which sprouted with plants)
On days 3-6 then He filled each:
- Day 4 – Filled the sky with lights (sun, moon, stars)
- Day 5 – Filled the sky with birds & sea with fish
- Day 6 – Filled the land with animals & created man/woman